Sunday, February 28, 2010

yummy food!

okay, so while I have been not so patiently waiting to be done with the paperwork chase, I have been cooking ethiopian food at least once a week. Over a month ago, we went to an ethiopian restaurant in NJ, and I loved loved loved it. Especially a dish named kik aletcha. It is made from yellow split peas and fresh veggies and spices and I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and many days I do:)!. So, today I decided to tackle making homemade injera - the bread-like food that you scoop up stews, meats, and veggies with. When I have had it in the the past, it has been almost bitter, and I have not been able to get my kids to take more than a bite (even noah - and he will try anything and usually love it). All of the recipes that I have found say that you have to make a starter, and feed it, and for those of you that know me - that is not going to happen:). So, back to the internet, and about two weeks ago I found a recipe that uses teff (the main flour from ethiopia), whole wheat flour, and self rising flour. It was so easy - and probably not totally authentic because of the different types of flour and not using a starter - but it was delicious! It did not have the bitter taste, and my kids loved it!!!! all three of them! So, by the time Kyria comes home, we will probably be sick of this dish:). If any of you have any yummy ethiopian recipes, please let me know! And please be praying - i am going in to my hospital tomorrow morning to try to get another employment verification letter - and then hopefully overnighting it to oregon! I'll let you know....

2 comments:

G said...

Oh, so good--already craving more...

Jenny said...

i have a recipe for that... i'll have to try it! good work on the injera, even if it's not totally authentic! it's the harley version :-) praying for your dossier & your numbers!