Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thursdays

I love Thursdays. Historically - it is my day to do nothing (although I have been grocery shopping for a few weeks on thursdays:). But now it is spring - and I get to do my favorite thing on Thursdays - mow my front lawn. For those of you who know me:), you know that I love grass - thick full grass. Grass that begs your toes to step on it and you know that it will feel like carpet. I love the smell of freshly cut grass; I love the lines the grass gets after mowing it; i love grass. (this is giving you all a very scary snapshot of my crazy ocd!) Anyways - before children, and honestly even after the boys, I was over the top with the grass. i watered, loved, fertilized, and agonized over my grass. over the top - yep, that was me. Anyways - all that said - if only I approached my relationship with Christ this way - over the top, ocd. I go through peaks and valleys, and although I yearn to be over the top in my Christian walk - many days I know that I fall far short - often from fear. As one of my fellow AGCI moms wrote yesterday - "Help us to trust you in big ways Lord. Move mountains in our lives—and bring glory to Your name! We boldly and courageously walk down YOUR path Lord…BEHIND You…as YOU go BEFORE us. Because of this…we will not fear. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7)." Andrea - beautifully written. So, to the walmart cashier today that I shared our birthday parties with, and the sams greeter that I told about my heart for ethiopia, and the dentist who asked me why ethiopia and instead of giving him the usual blah answer I shared my heart for Christ and His love of orphans - know that you were my fear. my fear of being different, of wondering what people would think about me. Lord, help me follow behind You,; you have given me a heart as Yours - broken for the orphan and widow, the sad and oppressed. Help me explode through my fear and shine for You!!!

PS - had to add some adorable pics of my monkeys! I was looking back through the past few years, remembering and tearing up:) and had to share with you all! Enjoy


6 comments:

Jenny said...

what a wonderful post! you've encouraged me today to be over the top in my Christian walk as well! and what adorable pictures of your monkeys :-) totally off topic, but is that a beco carrier??? i've been looking at carriers and i'm leaning toward the beco...

G said...

Okay, many things, but
1. Love the new background.
2. Ohmyword--how cute are your boys--look how little they were when Hannah was born!
3. Was thinking the same thing today about how crazy it is that I'm afraid to speak up about what I really think and was thinking I need to get over it! :)
4. You do have lovely grass. ;)

Becca Harley said...

you guys crack me up! Jenny - it is a beco - I am a baby wearing addict and I have sooo many carriers, wraps, slings, etc. If you ever want my opinion:) I would be happy to tell you what works for us! and Gini - thanks - right now my grass is lovely:)

Jenny said...

i will for sure have to talk to you once we find out what size Jai will be when we get him! i just love the look of the beco... i had looked at the ergo at first, but i have narrower shoulders and the ergo looked a little too bulky.

Becca Harley said...

jenny - I love the beco too! With hannah having juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, I carry her ALOT, and in the beginning the front was good - but I love being able to put her on my back so that I can get things done! (I vacuum, mow the lawn, shop, etc with her:). I also have a mei tai that I love (a baby hawk) - and it is great because I do not have to adjust the straps every time eric uses it! and it folds up so small in my bag! I also just received a peanut shell sling from my best friend Kim (thanks girl!) - and I have been trying hannah out in it because after reading alot about attachment/bonding lately - I think that it is great if they can see your face, but because we want a one year old - she will probably not want to be completely strapped to me in the front facing me! so I thought that the sling would solve those problems - and hannah seems to love it! Okay - short post, right?!:)

Kim said...

I teared up when I saw those pics of N and J when they were teeny- those little boys I used to squeeze- how I miss them! (Was just thinking how funny it was that I was taking care of Noah before I even knew you! crazy). Loved your "borrowed" post- so, so true! I think I'll message Andrea and see if I can send some things for the orphanage with her...
love you all!